|Date Posted||July 15, 2020|
Unleash your talents at Leidos! Grow and advance rapidly in your career by letting Leidos challenge you with world toughest technical problems.
The Guidance Navigation and Control (GNC) Branch of the Leidos Innovation Center (LInC) is looking for a mid-level engineer to develop real-time navigation for unmanned vehicles operating in GPS-denied environments. We perform research, development, and advanced prototyping for DARPA, NASA, the Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL), the Office of Naval Research (ONR), and the Army Combat Capabilities Development Command (CCDC) engineering centers. This position in Huntsville, AL, offers both analytical and hands-on tasks, including development, simulation, analysis, and field testing of navigation algorithms. These tasks are done within a small team of engineers working together in spiral or agile development environments to meet aggressive customer schedules aimed at near-term field demonstrations. Our customers need robust navigation performance in challenging environments with constrained sensing and processing capabilities. These needs often require tailored algorithms for computer vision and sensor fusion informed by cutting-edge research in these fields. If you are experienced in making advanced navigation technologies work in the real world, then you will excel in this position.
Fun stuff you will do on the job:
• Develop and analyze algorithms for real-time GPS-denied navigation of robotic platforms
• Use computer vision techniques to extract navigation measurements from imagery, such as feature matching, SLAM, and visual odometry
• Use multiple sensor fusion algorithms, including extended Kalman filters, unscented Kalman filters, particle filters, and factor graphs
• Fuse a variety of simulated and real-world sensor inputs, including inertial sensors, GPS, altimeters, cameras, lidar, odometers, and ranging radios
• Navigate a variety of platforms, including aircraft, ships, and ground vehicles
• Work within a team of 3-5 engineers to integrate and test algorithms on demonstration hardware
• Travel with the team to demonstrate systems in real-world conditions; typically lasts 1-2 weeks
Skills you must have to be successful in this role:
• Bachelor’s Degree in advanced technical field: electrical engineering, software engineering, aerospace engineering, mechanical engineering, or equivalent
• Must be a US Citizen with the ability to obtain and maintain a Secret security clearance
• 2+ years of relevant experience with one or more sensor fusion algorithms (extended Kalman filters, unscented Kalman filters, particle filters, or factor graphs)
• Experience with computer vision techniques
• Programming & analysis experience in MATLAB
You will wow us even more if you have these skills:
• Master’s or PhD Degree in one of the majors listed above
• Experience with one or more of the sensors listed above
• Experience with OpenCV
• Experience with machine learning, particularly convolutional neural networks
• Experience deploying navigation algorithms to real-time applications
• Experience with C++
• Experience with Linux
• Experience with version control tools, especially Git or Subversion
• Experience with autonomous system development through robotics competitions
• Active security clearance at Secret or above
External Referral Bonus:
Potential for Telework:
Clearance Level Required:
Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
Signal Processing Engineering
Leidos is a Fortune 500 information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [Click Here to Email Your Resumé].
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.